Why Meri Saheli is in the news?
In order to ensure better safety for women during the rail journey, an initiative named ‘Meri Saheli’ has been launched recently by the Railway Protection Force-RPF.
“Meri Saheli” initiative by RPF
- The objective of this initiative is to generate a sense of security among the women passengers during the train journey and to effectively respond to the women in case of any security challenge.
- Under this, a team of women officers and other employees (a woman sub-inspector and havildar) has been formed to assist women during the rail journey.
- This team will go to the women coach and inform them about the precautions to be kept in mind during the journey, as well as this team will also identify the women traveling alone and note their information (eg seat and coach number etc.) It will later be shared with the next division or zone officials.
- At the end of the journey, feedback will be taken from the female passengers regarding their experience and security arrangements.
- Along with this, they will be encouraged to use them under any circumstances, giving information about helpline numbers 182 (RPF) and 1512 (GRP) of the Government Railway Police (GRP) and Railway Protection Force (RPF).
- The initiative was launched by South-Eastern Railway in September 2020 and after receiving positive response from women passengers, it has been extended to all zones of the railway.