Why in News
A special drive to uproot invasive lantana bushes in the famous Sajjangarh Wildlife Sanctuary in Udaipur district of Rajasthan has helped save ecological restoration and biodiversity of grasslands.
Sajjangarh Wildlife Sanctuary (Biological Park) key points:
- In this campaign of one and a half months, along with planting of native species, the land has also been cleaned.
सज्जनगढ़ वन्यजीव अभयारण्य (Sajjangarh Wildlife Sanctuary):
- This small sanctuary in the southern Aravalli hills is 5.19 sq km. The area is spread over, inhabited by a large number of herbivorous animals.
- There is an artificial lake which is known as ‘Jiyan Sagar‘, it is also known as ‘Tiger Lake‘.
- It was declared a protected area in the year 1987.
लैंटाना कैमरा (Lantana Camara):
- The dense shrubs, called Lantana camara, cover the vast part of this sanctuary, which does not provide enough natural light and nutrition for the flora of the sanctuary.
- The ‘Lantana Camera‘ was first discovered in India in the year 1807.
- The poisonous substance in its leaves and ripe fruits affected many animals while its expansion has inhibited the natural growth of grasses and other shrubs.
- Due to lack of adequate growth of vegetation, herbivorous organisms did not get enough fodder as a result, the hunting grounds of non-vegetarians were getting reduced, leading to ecological imbalance in the food chain.
मिशन लैंटाना (Mission Lantana):
- ‘Mission Lantana’ was started by a senior female police officer who noticed a restlessness among herds of spotted deer with gradual shrinking of their natural habitat.
- As a result, action was taken to get rid of the lantana bushes, which covered about 50% of the sanctuary, by discussing the matter with wildlife experts.
- The campaign included collective efforts and ‘Shram Daan’ (voluntary physical work) by forest officials, police personnel, wildlife lovers, representatives of voluntary groups and local villagers.
- After 45 days, about 10 hectares of land has been cleared. Rajasthan Forest Department has planted more than 500 saplings on the cleared land.
My friends, I hope you liked this article and got some new information. Please tell me in the comments.